Tuesday, January 13, 2015

I Have a Book Coming Out Soon!

The cover of my soon-to-be-released book so far,
designed with CreateSpace's Cover Creator

    Near the beginning of the year, I decided to vigorously pursue my dreams, one of which is to be an active writer and published author. As far as my being a writer, this blog has been my outlet for that, as it allows me to practice my craft at will, without fear of judgment (since no one really reads my posts). But in regards to being published, I knew that the first order of business was to complete a manuscript. I didn't really know which idea or project to focus on (I have several stored in my mind, journals, and on jump drives), so I simply prayed to God, "Lord, give me the book You want me to write."

    Now, I had assumed He would give me some great idea for the Great American Novel. Instead, He placed it on my heart to focus on something that would depend on my writing skills, and utilize word processing skills I've gained as a secretary, specifically my talents in organizing/formatting documents. Basically, I had initially wanted to design a bible study journal for my own personal use, formatting it in a way that would be easy and efficient for me to use. But then I thought, "This is something other people could use as well," so I decided to make it available to others.
    What was supposed to be a basic print-on-demand journal eventually became a workbook and guide for taking notes during sermons and bible study classes. This was expanded even more, to include chapters on how to be a better "student" when it comes to maximizing the learning experience provided by sermons and bible study.
    The resulting book wasn't really the glamorous award-winning project I had in mind, but since it was the book God gave me, a book I obediently began to write, it seemed to have flowed from me almost easily, and filled me with a lot of excitement. And now, as of today, I am proud of the fact that I finally completed that project, and have proofread it quite a few times.

Here is an outline of what the book consists of:

Sermon & Bible Study Notes: A Guide & Journal for Taking Efficient and Productive Notes

  • Introduction
  • Chapter 1 "Hindrances to the Learning Experience: Forgetfulness & Judgment"
  • Chapter 2 "The Task of the Teacher, the Task of the Student"
  • Chapter 3 "Formal Style of Delivery vs. Informal Style of Delivery"
  • Chapter 4 "Note Taking Tips for Either Style"
  • Note Taking Journal For Bible Study, Sermons And Lessons
  • Your Journal’s Table Of Contents
  • Blank Journal Entries
  • About The Author

Now all that needs to be done is to get the book published, which I am currently handling. Basically, I decided to go the self-publishing route, because I don't think this is a book that traditional publishers are really looking for, but I still think it is something that a lot of people would be interested in. Of the many self-publishing companies, CreateSpace was the best fit for me, because it is user friendly, efficient, and inexpensive. At this point, I am simply waiting to receive the proof copy I ordered, so I can review it even more for possible errors or formatting issues. 

This process has been very rewarding, and has inspired greater passion within me for writing. While I am waiting on my proof copy, I feel compelled to begin another manuscript, and I already have something in mind, another Christian/bible study type of work. That particular manuscript will be one that I try to get published traditionally, so I guess I need to look for an agent eventually. 

Until my next post/update, I leave you with this photo below. Have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment