Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Writer's Thoughts: Using Pinterest to Organize Your Ideas & Thoughts


Since I recently finished the process of writing, designing and self-publishing my first book, I finally have time to start on the project that's been simmering in the back of my mind for the past few days. Naturally, that project couldn't get the attention it wanted, because I was focused on something already, but now, it has my full attention. 

The funny thing is, once I was free to focus on this new manuscript idea, I found myself feeling disorganized, jumbled and disoriented, having the following thoughts: Where should I begin? What are the chosen characters of this book? What are their details?


In the past, I would have opened up a Word document to create a table or list to get my thoughts organized, though I've rarely ever enjoyed that process, but it's the one I was used to. As I sat in front of the computer, prepared to do this again, I was hit with a wave of procrastination that many writers experience. 

My particular procrastinating choice this time was Pinterest. So I opened up my Pinterest page, but found myself surprised to realize that, instead of perusing and re-posting pictures about crafting, cooking, and fashion, I was perusing pictures related to the characters in my head. 

So I re-grouped, re-purposed, and created a secret board, profiling all of the characters I plan to write about. This process was very detailed and even long (I got a little obsessive about finding images that looked exactly as I imagined the character, down to the aura they evoked). But it helped me to really organize my thoughts. Basically, I used Google Image to search for pictures of what I imagined each character looked like, then posted that picture to my secret board. Under each post, I wrote a brief summary about the character. Here is a fuzzed out version of what it looks like (I want to keep this baby to myself until it's ready for delivery):

What I love about this is that it gives me a visual reminder of where I am going, which is very inspiring, pushing me to stay focused on this book idea. Everytime I look at this Pinterest Board, I see those characters and read their profiles and they remind me that their stories need to be shared. 

So, I decided to share this technique on my blog, in case it could help others. Let me know what you think and if you decide to start some secret Pinterest boards related to your writing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment